February
2005

6:35 pm

Explicit Category Sort plugin

UPDATE

Thad came up with a GUI for this plugin. New download: my downloads directory or his.

The older version is still available for people who don't like GUIs.

WordPress allows one to sort category listings in several ways: hierarchical, non-hierarchical, by name, by ID, and so on, but one thing it does not allow for is a sort order driven, not by name or ID. but by relationships defined in other than database terms. Human relationships — such as News, Weather, Sports.

That's what this plugin does. It allows one to define the display order of one's category listing, including, if desired, hierarchical relationships that may or may not have anything to do with those set up within the WP administration interface.

currently trilling: Weaving & Quilting from the album "We Are Here" by Three Strong Winds

tagged: | 10 Comments

10 Comments

1. posted March 15, 2005 at 4:32 pm

hi,

I use your plugins with wp 1.5 kubrick.Plugins is activated in admin panel.
    here my code for sidebar

and code for mylist

$mylist = "photographies,amateurs,pourquoi";
    $fulllink = FALSE;

Nothing appear with plugins.It’s blank.
    When i desactived the plugins, all gone back.
    I don’t understand.

Thanks to help me.
    bye.

2. posted March 15, 2005 at 4:35 pm

Can you email me, code is not write correctly here.

thanks.

3. posted April 28, 2005 at 3:56 pm

excellent plug-in – thank you very much

4. posted April 28, 2005 at 8:06 pm

You’re welcome!

5. posted May 18, 2005 at 8:18 am

Seriously good plug-in; just what I needed! *thumbs up* Thanks!

6. posted June 13, 2005 at 1:07 am

Hello, your plugin seems to be exactly what I need… Unfortunately, the extension is .tar.gz and I just don’t know what to do with it…
    Would it be possible to have it in a .zip file ?
    It would be really great !

KoZ

7. posted June 13, 2005 at 1:15 am

Hello. I’m sorry. I think I found the file. I don’t give the download adress as you don’t seem to give it on your blog…

8. posted June 13, 2005 at 8:18 am

KoZ, ‘.tar.gz’ is a standard compression/distribution format for UNIX; all compression utilities of which I’m aware decode it. (gz = gzip = GNUzip) You may want to do a search for updates if your existing utility does not.

It sounds like you found a workable solution, though.

9. posted August 13, 2005 at 5:02 pm

I’ve just downloaded Explicit Category Sort 1.5 and loaded it onto 2 blogs – production blog & test site. On the test site I have permalinks set but on the production blog I don’t – domain.com/?=n (Found a bug with permalinks so cannot just enable them yet). On the site with permalinks everything works fine – however on the site without nothing displays (even the preview doesn’t). I looked in wp-options table and everything seems to be there.

Any ideas?

10. posted August 13, 2005 at 5:27 pm

Hi, RichardF. If you aren’t set up for permalinks you need to write your list using “cat=[category number]” instead of the category names. It’s a bore, but that’s the best I could do.

It’s supposed to be in the read-me; if you haven’t read that you probably should, since this is not a plugin I actually use and so I forget over time how it works. I don’t even remember if the readme is in the latest distribution, it being a joint effort. Let me know if not.

And I hope the plugin does exactly what you need it to do. :)